Ready to Lose Your Glasses? Ten tips for selecting a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest progressing fields of medicine. Never before have so numerous new techniques and scientific breakthroughs emerged in such a brief duration of time. LASIK surgical treatment, which utilizes an excimer laser to improve the cornea, provides countless individuals the opportunity to decrease or eliminate their need for contacts or glasses .
Television and radio ads are filled with remarkable stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the painless and fast method to fix vision, but stories are also appearing about people for whom it was less than effective. Before you opt to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to assist make sure that you will more than happy with your results?
The crucial to safe surgery in any field of medication is an informed client. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a nationwide survey by Ophthalmology Times, uses the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a medical professional by getting recommendations from other doctors or from clients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Do not be deceived by fancy ads about a specific laser. Select the physician, not the laser.
3. Select a physician who has actually done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. Exactly what a physician doesn't understand can injure you.
Ask for info on your doctor's LASIK eye surgical treatment problem rates. If your physician won't inform you, find another one.
5. Ask what top article procedures are required to prevent infection. Try to find a center with a sterile or dust-free operating room. Ensure that disposable parts are not reused. Firmly insist that your eye is thoroughly disinfected, and insist that the surgical instruments be disinfected prior to your eye laser surgery to get rid of the risk of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
6. Beware of ads pushing "low expense" LASIK surgery. Discount rate surgical treatment is as great as a discount parachute. The prospective savings are not worth the threat of receiving less than skilled care!
Expect to see really well after LASIK, but don't expect to see completely. As with any eye laser surgery, outcomes are as private as each patient. Be careful of any physician who promises 20/20 vision.
8. If you feel like you're getting a tough sell, you most likely are. Go somewhere else. You're not purchasing a automobile; this is genuine LASIK eye surgical treatment.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will probably offer much better vision than LASIK. Ask your doctor about them and other recent advances.
10. While you examine, do not forget the benefits: for the majority of people, a lifetime of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has enhanced the eyesight of millions of individuals all over the world.